Wednesday 19 March 2014

Preparing for my Laparoscopy

The day draws nearer. And it has dawned on me that I have lead a lucky life up until now; I have had no previous trips to the hospital other than visiting people. However, a few years ago I visited my mum in hospital and while she was having an injection I passed out and had to be put on the bed in the next bay. So, my relationship with hospitals is minimal, and somewhat negative, to say the least.

Next Monday is the date for my Laparoscopy and tube removal and I have been preparing for this for months and I thought I'd share my slightly, some may think, over-the-top, preparation list.

I have divided my plan into pre-op, on the day and a packing list as you will see!

Preparation:
Write down a list of questions to ask the doctor at the pre-op appointment
Arrange numbing cream, can I wear contacts? Can I take rescue remedy and windease? Ask about pain relief after the op. Shoulder pain from gas, what can I do? How long will op last? Ask about GA injection. What about ovaries? How do I ovulate from the side with no tube!?
Order herbs for pre and post op
Research and download meditation tracks to listen to on the day
Check out Paul Mckenna’s Confidence Hypnotherapy tracks
Research and download music to listen to on the day
Transfer music tracks onto Ipod/MP3
Get books ready
Get DVDs ready
Clean house and do all washing
Food shop arranged to collect from Tesco
Buy some new Pjs
Buy new knickers /
Buy painkillers
Buy throat lozenges
Buy fruit juices
Check first aid kit – thermometer, antibac wipes etc

On the day 
Get up early
Have a bath and wash hair
Yoga practice and meditation
Put clothes on, jogging bottoms and slip on shoes, warm socks
Check packing lists (overnight case packed just in case, which will be kept in the car) 
Listen to meditation tracks and my favourite music  on my Ipod

Packing List
(my hospital will only allow limited bag space so overnight things will be left in the car. * indicates that I will be taking it with me for the day op)
Ipod/MP3 with music, meditation tracks*
Book/magazine*
Dressing gown and slippers*
Rescue remedy*
Nice PJs
Socks, with loose elastic and slippers*
Overnight bits – underwear, Pjs, eye mask, ear plugs, toothbrush and paste, contact lense stuff, face wipes.
Pillow
Peppermint tea and windease tablets *
Sanitary towels*
Spare knickers
Phone and charger*
Pad and pen (for hubby to write down anything the doctor says)
Food
Water *
Boiled sweets
Lip balm
Mints
Medical paperwork*


Hope this helps someone and feel free to leave a comment with any other ideas you might have x 

Edit: Please see the post operation advice for more useful information xx






No comments:

Post a Comment