Thursday 27 February 2014

Beat the blues: Candle Meditation


The bath is one of the many places that I meditate. We all know that sometimes time runs away and meditation is often one of the first things to be relegated to a tomorrow. So, combining a bath and meditation feels like a good use of time.
 

When I can, I like to run myself a warm bath, not too hot as it sends my heart racing (which I am sure goes against the point of meditation!) and add some bubbles (Organic if possible) I then light my candles.
 
Here is my little collection and the big one has a lovely fresh linen smell.
 
 
 
Carefully, I plug in my earphones into my phone (I don't own an IPod/MP3) and lay back into the bubbles. Now, the candle meditation is perhaps the best bit. All you need to do is download the app onto your phone. The App is called 'Learn to Meditate' which can also be assessed and listened to via the internet. Of all the free meditation apps that I have downloaded this is my favourite. There are 10 different guided meditation sessions and the candle meditation is track 1.
 
 
 
The meditation lasts for about 10-15 minutes and focuses on a candle, which I tend to place in front of me on the edge of the bath. Using your breath you focus on the flame, breathing in its golden, white light and breathing out any darkness that you hold within. After a few minutes, you close your eyes, imagining the candle within your heart.
 
I find the image of the candle rather powerful as to me it represents strength and building my inner strength is something I am particularly focusing on as I prepare for my Laparoscopy and surgery to remove my fallopian tube in a few weeks time.
 
 
 
 
At the end of the meditation you are asked to contemplate the idea that there are candle flames within everyone and every living thing. And that the world is full of billions of little flames; that we are all connected.
 
 Meditation and Mindfulness has helped me to remain compassionate towards other people and although this is not always easy when life seems so unfair at times, the candle image reminds me that everyone, no matter who you are, has struggle in life and to be as kind and compassionate as I possibly can.
 
So, if you're feeling a bit low and rubbishy today, why don't you run that bath, light those candles and slip deep into the bubbles? And while the warm water soothes and cares for you body, you can care of your mind by watching your breath and focusing on the pure white flame that flickers in front of you.
 
 
Go on, treat yourself.
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment