Monday 31 March 2014

My Laparoscopy and tube removal: Post Op advice

Well, it is now Monday and a whole week since my Laparosocopy and tube removal and what the consultant called 'an MOT'  at Cheltenham General Hospital. And you will have worked out by now that I survived and IT WAS FINE! I know, I can't quite believe that I have just said that but it honestly was.

I wanted to share some advice now that I have actually had the procedure done as I know that online advice really helped me to feel prepared for the day.

Here is a breakdown of the timings of the day: 

6am:  woke up, had a sip of water with my morning meds as had to be nil-by-mouth from midnight
6am-7am: had a bath and washed my hair, listened to some of my favourite meditation tracks
7am: left for the hospital. Feeling positive.
7.45am: arrived at the hospital, feeling a bit nervous now
8am: booked into the ward and waited with four other ladies and their partners
8am-11am: taken to my bed, told that my op would be at 11.30am as third on the list so had ages to wait. Hubs stayed with me all day and we played games, read the paper and chatted. Feeling relaxed.
11am: asked for numbing cream, had this on the back of both hands. Would recommend even if you are not scared of needles as had the Cannula in for 11 hours! I would say I am very scared of needles and this didn't bother me at all. Also, give 2x paracetamol. Get changed into gown and DVT stockings.
11.30am: Wheeled on bed to the theatre. This was my first operation and didn't know what to expect. Went into the anaesthetic room. Lovely anaesthetist chatted to me while Cannula was put into my hand, mask over my mouth and WHOOSSH that was it!
12.30am: Woke up, operation all done and wheeled back to the ward where hubs was waiting. Felt fine, a bit woozy but no pain.
7.45pm: Leave the hospital. A bit delayed as I was a dehydrated and needed to wait to pee!
8.30pm: Arrive back home. Eat Tomato soup and toast and drink lots. Lay on sofa all night under duvet. Sister arrived to look after me as Hubs had to work next day.
11pm: Good night's sleep. Zzzzzzzzz


My additional recommendations: 

1, Take plenty of things to do; magazines, cards, music.
2. Take plenty of things for your partner/friend to do. They will be waiting for a long time.
3. Take a pillow for the drive home to help bumps in the road and seat belt.
4. Pack an overnight bag just in case
5. Take Peppermint Tea bags. Nurses were very impressed as this apparently helps!
6. Pack warm slippers and a dressing gown. Some other women didn't and had their bums on show!
7. Take some food. My only criticism would be that they didn't give us food. Make sure it's soft as your throat will be sore.
8. Drink plenty, and I mean plenty, after the op and they won't let you go home until you've had a wee.
9. Wear loose clothes and shoes. My feet swelled up and could hardly get my trainers on.
10. Take a hot water bottle or ask for a heat pack for the gas pain. It was a wonderful relief.
11. Try and get someone to be with you after the op for a couple of days. Walking around the house is a bit difficult so great if someone can wait on you!
12. Book at least a week off work if you can.
13. You may be uncomfortable sleeping so use a pillow to prop yourself and your legs up.
14. Codeine will probably be given to you as a painkiller. They make you constipated so drink lots.
15. I stopped painkillers after a week or so and plan to do a detox in a few weeks!
16. I have had light bleeding, like pinky water, since the op so have some light pads ready.

I really hope this helps anyone preparing for this procedure. Feel free to add comments
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment